2021 Open Readings
Submissions due by Sunday, October 25th!
Our mission at San Diego Shakespeare Society (SDSS) is to demonstrate the relevance, immediacy, and accessibility of the works of William Shakespeare for the general public. Open readings are just one of the many ways that we meet our mission. Every month, we hold free open readings of Shakespeare’s plays where the novice and the seasoned, the young and the old come together to share a common interest, which is to hear the words of William Shakespeare read aloud.
Open readings are held each month at Coronado Public Library. During the pandemic, we have been holding meetings via Zoom. Each year we schedule six plays, two monthly readings for each play. We seek directors who can commit to live or virtual readings as circumstances permit.
- DATE: 1st Tuesday of each month. Plays are scheduled in two month increments: Jan/Feb, Mar/Apr, May/Jun, Jul/Aug, Sep/Oct, Nov/Dec.
- TIME: 5:00-7:00pm (virtually), 6:30-8:30pm (in person)
- PARTICIPANTS: Average 20-30.
Open Reading Format and Director Expectations
- Director provides a brief introduction to the play including plot, themes, main characters, the play’s significance within the canon and the historical, religious, and political context in which the play was written.
- Director may share general tips for “Acting Shakespeare”
- Director may cut scenes. For instance, relatively short scenes with 8 or more characters can be time consuming to cast and confusing to execute. Director may assign small roles, e.g., “a messenger,” to self or designate a utility player for the night.
- Director is prepared with a list of characters for each scene, includes a brief description of the scene, and casts the readers for each character in each scene.
- Always provide an open and encouraging atmosphere, give everybody an opportunity to read, distribute roles equitably, and be particularly welcoming to novice participants.
- Offer positive feedback for attendees and a supportive environment for all which encourages participation and community.
Director positions are voluntary and open to all—you’ll be part of the Society Team, bringing Shakespeare to life in San Diego!
SDSS members will be given priority, though it is not a requirement to join the Society to be considered.
If interested, please fill out the form below. Submissions due by Sunday, October 25th! Thank you!